Bomb Blasts: History of terror attacks in Delhi
1) Delhi Blasts, 1997: A series of bomb blasts occurred in the National Capital Region of Delhi in 1997. According to intelligence sources, these bomb blasts were perpetrated by isolated groups funded by Pakistans secret service, the Inter Services Intelligence (ISI).
December 30, 1997: Four commuters killed and about 30 injured in a bomb explosion in a bus near Punjabi Bagh.
November 30, 1997: Twin blasts in Red Fort area leaves three Killed and 70 injured.
October 26, 1997: Twin bomb blasts in Karol Bagh market left one dead and 34 injured.
October 18, 1997: One person was killed and 23 others were hurt in twin bomb blasts In Rani Bagh market.
October 10, 1997: One killed, 16 injured in three bomb blasts at Shantivan, Kauria Pul and Kingsway Camp areas.
October 1, 1997: Thirty people were injured in two bomb explosions near a procession in the Sadar Bazar area.
January 9, 1997: 50 injured in bomb blast opposite the Delhi Police Headquarters at ITO.
2) 2001 Indian Parliament attack: This high-profile attack was by Lashkar-e-Toiba and Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorists. The attack led to the death of a dozen people (5 terrorists, 6 police and 1 civilian) and to increased tensions between India and Pakistan and the 2001-2002 India-Pakistan standoff. Mohammad Afzal who is convicted of being part of conspiracy is now sentenced to death by Indian court.
3) 29 October 2005 Delhi bombings: It killed 62 people and injured at least 210 others in three explosions. The bombings came only two days before the important festival of Diwali. The Pakistan-based Islamist terrorist organization, the Islamic Revolutionary Front or Islamic Inquilab Mahaz, claimed responsibility for the Delhi terrorist attacks. Tariq Ahmad Dar, was convicted as the alleged mastermind of the attacks on 10 November 2005 without any evidence.
4) April 14, 2006: At least 14 people were injured after two explosions at the courtyard of Jama Masjid in the Walled City of Old Delhi.
5) 13 September 2008 Delhi bombings: A series of five synchronised bomb blasts that took place within a span of few minutes on Saturday, 13 September 2008 at various locations in Delhi, India. The blasts left at least 30 people killed and over 100 injured.
6) 7 September, 2011: At least 9 people were killed and 45 injured in a medium-intensity blast outside one of the entry gates to the Delhi High Court complex crowded with visitors seeking entry into the premises. Ammonium nitrate, a battery-like object, wires and some nails were found at the site by forensic experts.