Rahul Gandhi against criminals entering politics

Posted By: Pti
Subscribe to Oneindia News

Parbhani (Maha), Jan 27 (PTI) Youth should join politicsbut they should not have a criminal background, AICC GeneralSecretary Rahul Gandhi said here today.

Gandhi, who is on a three-day visit of the state, wasaddressing a meeting of Youth Congress and NSUI workers.

In a question and answer session with the audience,Gandhi pointed to Meghna, daughter of Congress legislatorRamprasad Bordikar and asked those assembled whether theywould elect her as she has political background.

"People replied that they will if she came through YouthCongress system," Meghna, a software consultant, said.

The Youth Congress will be strengthened throughelections, Gandhi said. "Youth should come into politcs butthey should not be from criminal background," he said.

Expressing opposition to ''dynasty politics'', Gandhi said"I am also from Gandhi family.... Whoever will work willsurvive. Your work should speak for you, not just because youare related to someone."

Before the organisational elections in Youth Congress,"if you were nominated you would be selected, but that is nolonger the case," he said.

"You say that politicians get scope but it is upto votersto elect them," he said. "We won''t impose a leader. It will bethrough elections."

Gandhi asked the gathering how many people had relativesin politics. A few raised hands. "Only 10 per cent peopleconsistently stay in politics. The remaining 90 per cent getsidelined," he said.

Please Wait while comments are loading...