Pak accepts India's five million dollar aid package for flood victims
New York, Aug.20 (ANI): A day after the US asked Pakistan to accept India's five million dollar flood assistance package, Islamabad has accepted New Delhi's offer.
Talking to reporters on the sidelines of the special session of the General Assembly on Pakistan at the United Nations (UN) headquarters, Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi appreciated India's gesture and said his government has agreed to accept the aid from the neighbouring country.
"I can share with you that the Government of Pakistan has agreed to accept the Indian offer," Qureshi said.
Qureshi rejected the notion that Pakistan was playing politics with the issues.
On Thursday, Islamabad said it is yet to decide on the five million dollars aid pledged by India last week to help the victims of the deluge.
Speaking during a regular briefing, foreign office spokesman Abdul Basit, said : "The Pakistan government is considering the proposal and no decision has been made in this regard."
"We appreciate the gesture by India. Their offer has been conveyed to relevant authorities and the matter is under consideration," Basit added.
On August 13, External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna had conveyed deep sympathies on behalf of the Government of India and the people of the country on the devastation caused by floods while offering the fund. (ANI)