Four Indians charred to death in saree shop fire in Malaysia

Posted By: Staff
Subscribe to Oneindia News

Masai (Malaysia), Mar. 10 (ANI): Four Indian nationals were charred to death in a suspected arson attack that engulfed a five double-storey saree shop in Masai, Malaysia.

Two of the victims had arrived here just two days ago to work here as salesmen.

All four, believed to be in their 20s, have yet to be identified as they were badly charred during the early morning fire, the Star Online reports.

According to eyewitnesses, the men screamed for help and then went silent. Nobody could rescue them due to high flames.

Police has not ruled out arson as a can of petrol was found at the scene.

According to preliminary investigation, the row of shops had been doused with petrol.

"We believe that the petrol was poured at the entrances of all the five shop lots. The fire had started from the textile shop where the victims had been sleeping," Johor Fire and Rescue Department deputy director Sukor Sani Hashim said.

"The body of the first victim was found at the ground floor of the building, the second at the stairway and the other two were still at the top floor," he added.

Sukor said it took 20 firemen and two fire engines about 10 minutes to control the blaze but it was wholly put out only an hour later.

He explained that the fire had also spread very fast as the building had wooden flooring and was filled with flammable material. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...