Militants returning to Bajaur suspected to be behind Lower Dir suicide attacks
Peshawar, Feb. 8 (ANI): Militants who had fled Bajaur region after the launch of military offensive in Malakand last year are suspected to be behind the two recent suicide bombings in Lower Dir, investigators say.
On February 3, seven people, including three US soldiers were killed in a suicide car bombing on a security forces convoy in Shahi Koto village of Dir Lower. 130 others were injured in the attack.
In another suicide car bombing outside a mosque in Balambat town of Dir Lower, 12 people were killed and 28 were left injured in December.
The Joint Investigation Teams (JITs) have started grilling hundreds of militants arrested from all over the Malakand division in recent months.
"Militants who had fled Swat and Dir to Bajaur Agency as a result of military operation in Malakand last year are returning through unfrequented routes to escape military action in tribal areas. These elements are suspected to have triggered the two explosions in Dir Lower," The News quoted a source, as saying.
Source said militants had returned from Bajaur and adjacent areas to Swat and Dir Lower where they were being headed by Hafizullah.
"The modus operandi of both the incidents was the same. In both incidents explosive-laden cars were used by the suicide bombers to hit the security personnel," said Mumtaz Zarin, district olice officer of Dir Lower. (ANI)