Fire in plastic waste causing health hazard in Shimla

Posted By: Staff
Subscribe to Oneindia News

Shimla, Dec 23 (ANI): Fire at a plastic dumping yard in Shimla's downtown area has causing health environment related problems.

Reportedly, the fire broke out at this spot located in Lal Pani on Saturday and it has continued to burn for the third successive day on Tuesday.

The entire area is covered by a thick blanket of smoke with the air reeking of toxic gases despite the personnel of civic administration trying to douse the fire.

" The fire was on rise. So on that effect we have increased fire tenders from four to six; more tankers and man power has also been increased and we have controlled the fire to 75 percent and we will try to control the 25 percent," said Sonam Negi, Health Officer, Shimla Municipal Corporation.

He also mentioned that for the past eight years this dumping yard has been used to sort out plastic materials, which are later treated at a nearby plant.

The toxic smoke has caused much concern among the locals residing in the neighbourhood, particularly the patients with respiratory ailments.

"For last three days. We are facing serious problems from the smoke coming out of this fire. It is very dangerous to the people with respiratory problems or having allergy or suffering from asthma," said Asha Sharma, a resident.

Interestingly, the government of Himachal Pradesh recently launched a public campaign to collect plastic waste from across the state. The state government has imposed a total ban on polythene and plastic bags. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...