Kakinada, Oct 14: Three workers engaged in cleaning a septic tank of a multi-storied apartment complex in Amalapuram in East Godavary district died of asphyxiation and two others fell ill after inhaling poisonous gas emanated from the tank last night.
According to police, the incident took place when the workers entered the 12 feet deep septic tank around 2330 hrs for cleaning.
The deceased were identified as Akumarni Mahesh (30), Easarapu Suresh (32) and Kona Srinvas (30).
The relatives of the victims resorted to a rasta-roko stir near the Ganesh centre for sometime this morning, demanding that apartment complex owners provide compensation to the kin of the deceased.
Police sent the bodies for postmortem.