Security forces relieved after peaceful two-day curfew in Kashmir

Written by:
Subscribe to Oneindia News

Srinagar, Oct 7 (UNI) Security force are a relieved lot now after a two-day curfew restriction from October 5 morning passed off peacefully without any violence as was witnessed in August when police and CRPF firing and teargassing left several dead and hundreds wounded in the last week that month.

Thousands of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and Jammu and Kashmir police personnel were deployed in all parts of the valley to strictly enforce the curfew restriction from 0500 hrs from October 5, a day ahead when the Coordination Committee (CC) had appealed the people to reach Lal Chowk, the nerve centre of the summer capital.

The men in uniform remained on their toes for more than 48-hours to thwart any attempt by separatists and common people to reach the chowk, which was fenced with barbed wire and iron sheets from all sides.

Yesterday was full of tension as we were expecting that people would come out and defy the curfew restriction, which could have resulted in clash, official sources said adding that appeals by the government to help maintain peace besides CC's directions to people not to indulge in any violence has helped this time.

Sources said security forces were directed to exercise restrain to avoid any human loss.

Several people were killed and hundreds were wounded when security forces and police opened fire, burst teargas shells and resorted to baton charge to disperse curfew violators on August 12 and August 25, the day when CC had actually given Lal Chowk Chalo call.

They said security forces were armed with weapons, lathis and guards besides wearing bullet proof jackets.

All main roads were blocked with barbed wire and other things to foil any attempt to took out procession.

This time the security measures were unprecedented and nobody was even allowed to move out.

Sources said field commanders remained in contact with their officers throughout the day, informing them about the situation in their respective areas as any small mistake could have sparked major clash.

Today, the situation was normal and only normal deployment of security forces on the streets.


Please Wait while comments are loading...