Delhi encounter: Timeline

Written by:
Subscribe to Oneindia News

New Delhi, Sep 20: The Delhi encounter between the police and terrorists in L-18 building of Jamia Nagar on Friday, Sep 19 killed two terrorists and a policeman. Here is the sequence of events.

At 10 am: Police reaches the building
A team of 20 people led by Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Sanjeev Yadav reaches Jamia Nagar of East Delhi. The team takes position on the building around 4 storey apartment block L-18, Bathla House near Khaleela mosque.

At 11 am: Sharma's encounter with terrorists
Inspector Mohan Chand Sharma was not wearing a flak jacke. He knocks on the front door of an apartment on the fourth floor of L-18 building and asks the inmates to come out for police verification. Occupants open fire from a 0.3 mm pistol.

Three bullets hit Sharma; two pass through his body. Sharma collapses, as the policemen take shelter. Head Constable Balwan Singh suffers injury on right hand. Sharma is taken to the nearby Holy Family Hospital, where doctors immediately wheel him into the operation theatre to remove a bullet lodged in his stomach.

Senior police officials, including Joint Commissioner of Police (Special Cell) Karnal Singh and Deputy commissioner of Police (Special Cell) Alok Kumar arrive at Jamia Nagar. Various teams of the Special Cell are pressed into the service along with a platoon of elite National Security Guards commandos.

Teams wearing protective gear once again try to move into the apartment. Police asked people in the area to remain indoors. Police fired a total of 22 rounds; occupants of apartment retaliate with eight rounds.

Two suspected terrorists are gunned down, even as two others managed to flee from the rear of the apartment, apparently by jumping onto the roof of an adjoining building; one man is captured as police move into the apartment.

Police teams remove the bodies of the dead and take away the captured man to an undisclosed location.

At 11.45 am: End of the fire fight
Police declare about the end of the fire fight. People after coming out of the their houses, got anguished about the wrong report of the terrorists hiding in the mosque by the Police and started chanting slogans against police.

At 4 pm: Press conference of ACP
Delhi Police Commissioner Y S Dadwal holds press conference to announce that one of the dead was Atif, mastermind of Delhi bombings.

At 7 pm: Sharma succumbs to injuries
Inspector Mohan Chand Sharma, grievously injured in the police raid, is dead.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...