Chennai, Feb 21 (UNI) The Tamil Nadu government today warned of stringent action against those who failed to remove hoardings and banners beyond the stipulated timeframe.
An official release here said a high-level meeting convened by Chief Minister M Karunanidhi decided to direct the police department to remove the unauthorised hoardings and collect the expenses from the organisations or individuals, who had erected them.
After removing the hoardings and banners, the police would initiate action against those who had failed to remove them within the stipulated time, the release said.
The government had earlier said banners could be erected only three days before an event and they should be removed within two days after the completion of the event.
As those who erected the banners failed to obey the government directive, the high-level committee decided to press the police into action.
The decision to allow banners for five days was taken at a review meeting chaired by Mr Karunanidhi on August 29, 2007.
This order was challenged in Madras High Court, but the First Bench of the Court, held that the government was free to proceed with its drive against all unauthorised hoardings in the city, except those covered by the Supreme Court order.
UNI WS AJ GL KN1534