Kanpur, Feb 4 : A fire engulfed a plastic factory here in Laxmipurva area during early hours of Monday, causing damage worth millions.
According to officials, the fire was caused due to short circuit in the factory.
Residents feel that such factories should not be housed in residential areas. They complain that the authorities are not doing enough to stop these factories from coming up in populated areas.
"A fire broke out here for the third time. I do not know how the pollution control board has permitted these factories to carry out their work in such populated areas," said Ram Mohan, a resident.
"Nothing has been done to ensure our safety. They do not have any arrangements to extinguish the fire. Still these factories have the permission to carry on," Mohan added.
Fire fighters were still struggling to control the blaze when reports last came in.