New Delhi, Jan 14 (UNI) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) today asked the Delhi Government to submit within four weeks a factual report on allegations that a 14-year-old disabled boy was refused help by the Child Welfare Committee (CWC).
Hearing-impaired Balram was picked up by a social activist from Nizamuddin railway station on December 7 last year and taken to the CWC, a media report said.
However, the report said the CWC shelter home rejected his admission on the grounds that he had not undergone medical check-up and instead asked the activist to get it done first.
When the social activist came with the medical report, the CWC bench was closed and advised him to go to the Child Line for shelter.
But, the report said the Child Line too refused to admit the boy without the CWC recommendations. Despite a lot of efforts by the social activist, the boy could not get any help from the CWC.
Without meals for the past two days, Balram was later given shelter by Chetna, an NGO.
Taking suo motu congnisance, NHRC chairperson Justice S Rajendra Babu said the contents of the ''distressing'' media report, if true, raise serious issue of violation of human rights of the disabled boy.
He asked the Secretary, Social Welfare Department of the Delhi Government, to look into the allegations and submit a factual report to the NHRC within four weeks.
UNI AG AKJ HS1816