• search

US Navy removes sub commander after collision

By Staff
|
Google Oneindia News

Washington, Jan 30: A US submarine commander has been removed from his post after his vessel collided with a Japanese tanker in the Gulf, the US Navy said today.

The USS Newport News nuclear-powered submarine collided with the Japanese vessel, the Mogamigawa, on January 8 in the Strait of Hormuz, a major waterway for oil transportation, the US military has said.

A Navy statement said Cmdr Matthew Weingart had been relieved of his command due to ''a lack of confidence in his ability to command.'' No US or merchant sailors were injured in the collision and no oil was spilled. The Navy said the submarine was in Bahrain.

''The submarine will return to the United States once temporary repairs are complete, at which time permanent repairs will be conducted,'' the statement said.

Reuters

For Daily Alerts
Best Deals and Discounts
Get Instant News Updates
Enable
x
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Done
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X
X