• search

This little piggie took the expressway

Written by: Staff
|

BEIJING, Dec 4 (Reuters) A freeway operator in northeast China has been ordered to pay the equivalent of 150,000 dollars in compensation to six people injured in an accident caused by -- a pig.

In January last year, the six were heading along the expressway from Harbin, capital of Heilongjiang province, to Daqing.

''As the vehicle approached Zhaodong city, the driver saw a pig loom up in front of him,'' Xinhua news agency said. ''To avoid a collision, he ploughed into a road barrier.'' All six were injured, one seriously, Xinhua said.

The driver was initially held responsible for the accident but the six injured sued the operator of the Harbin-Daqing freeway, demanding compensation.

A court ruled the company, which collects toll fees, was responsible for ''ensuring that the freeway is safe and free of obstacles''.

It should bear 80 per cent of the total losses suffered by the plaintiffs. The remaining 20 percent would be borne by the local insurance company.

REUTERS LL BS1353

For Daily Alerts
Get Instant News Updates
Enable
x
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Done
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X