US civilian contractor killed in Afghan blast
KABUL, May 18 (Reuters) A suicide car bomber attacked a convoy in the western Afghan city of Herat today, killing himself and a U.S.
citizen, police said.
The US embassy in Kabul said the dead American was a civilian State Department contractor, training Afghan police.
''We can confirm a US citizen ... has been killed,'' said embassy spokesman Chris Harris.
The cause of the blast was belived to have been a car bomb but that was still being investigated, Harris said.
The Herat provincial police chief said earlier a suicide bomber had attacked a military convoy and the dead American was a soldier.
Harris said it was a civilian convoy.
Two Afghans, a soldier and an interpreter had been wounded, the police chief said.
REUTERS MIR SSC1314