48-hour strike called to protest palace takeover
Imphal, Feb 24 (UNI) Sana Konung Semgat Lup (SKSL) (Royal Palace Preservation Organisation) has called a 48-hour general strike in Manipur from February 27 mid night to protest the state government's proposal to take over the royal palace.
The organisation has asked the government to withdraw its decision to take over the palace where the family members of the king still reside.
The Imphal district magistrate had asked the family members of the king to fix the compensation to be paid to them.
Leishemba, the grandson of last king Boddhachandra, had earlier handed over the task of taking the final decision on the issue to the SKSL.
Earlier, Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh had said the government would only repair the palace and preserve it and a house would be constructed for the family members of the king within the premises.
SKSL General Secretary M Maniton said the government could contruct a new palace but the land should be in the name of the king.
UNI NS SG/SRC RL BS1219