After the mindless Kansas incident in which an Indian engineer was killed several measures are being taken to ensure that Indians are safe in the United States of America. Several guidelines have been issued to ensure that Indians are safe in the US.
On various social media accounts guidelines on how to stay safe were issued.
The Virginia based Telangana American Telugu Association has decided to organise awareness drives both online as well as on the ground. There is a greater need for participation by Indians in American society, the president of the association Maneder Reddy Musuku says.
It may be recalled that Srinivasa Kuchibhotla was killed by a 51 year old American, Adam Purinton at a bar in Kansas last week. He had yelled 'get out of my country,' before the shooting. In the incident another Indian Alok Madasani was also shot at. He however survived. A 24 year old American, Ian Grillot was also injured in the shooting while he tried to save the Indians.
Guidelines to stay safe
- Do not get into argument with others at public places
- Should someone be provoking you, avoid confronting and please leave the place immediately.
- As much as we love talking in our mother tongue, it can often be misconstrued.
- Please see if you can communicate in English in public places.
- Isolated places can often be targets. Please avoid going or staying single.
- In emergency situations, please do not hesitate to call 911. Officers can come and help in such situations.
- Please be aware of your surroundings and say something if you see anything suspicious.