The killing of Indian engineer Srinivasa Kuchibhotla in an apparent case of hate crime in the United States of America has prompted a list of do and dont's. There are several suggestions that are being circulated on the social media following the incident and the main one being, 'avoid speaking in your mother tongue in public'.
"Do not speak in Hindi or any other Indian language when at a public place," was the most common suggestion that was made. Vikram Jangam, general secretary of the Telangana American Telugu Association put out a list of suggestions to stay safe in the US.
Tips to stay safe in the US:
- Do not get into argument with others at public places
- Should someone be provoking you, avoid confronting and please leave the place immediately.
- As much as we love talking in our mother tongue, it can often be misconstrued.
- Please see if you can communicate in English in public places.
- Isolated places can often be targets. Please avoid going or staying single.
- In emergency situations, please do not hesitate to call 911. Officers can come and help in such situations.
- Please be aware of your surroundings and say something if you see anything suspicious.