Uttar Pradesh will go to Assembly elections early in 2017. The state has an Assembly comprising 403 seats and a party/alliance has to win 202 seats to form the government.
In 2012, when the last state election was held in UP, the Samajwadi Party had won 224 seats to get a decisive majority. OneIndia will take one Assembly constituency a day and have a look at electoral information related to it:[Know constituencies of UP Assembly polls]
Constituency Name: Barkhera
- Constituency No. 128
- District: Pilibhit
- District Area: 3,504 sq km
- District population: 2.037 million
- District literacy: 63.58%
2012 Assembly election result in Barkhera
Winner: Hemraj Verma (SP)
Votes received: 69,256
Vote percentage: 35.27%
Nearest rival: Jaidrath Alias Prawaktanand (BJP)
Percentage: 19.8 %
Total voters: 2,81,531
Turnout: 196,379 (69.75%)
First election in Barkhera assembly constituency was held in 1967 after the "DPACO (1967)" (delimitation order) was passed in 1967.
Extant of Barkhera Assembly constituency is KCs Neoria, Pauta Kalan & Nyoria Husainpur NP of Pilibhit Tehsil; KC Barkhera & Barkhera NP of Bisalpur Tehsil; PCs Athkona, Abhaipur M.Shahgarh, Karnapur, Itauria J.Biharipur, Dhakia Kesherpur, Shivnagar, Piparia Karam, Pachpera Prahladpur, Pachpera Garha, Prasadpur, Lalpur T.Madhautanda, Burhia J.Itauria, Raipur M.Rampur, Rampura M. Bhabsi, Shahgar & Sandai of West KC of Puranpur Tehsil.
2014 Lok Sabha result in Pilibhit
Maneka Gandhi (BJP) defeated Budhsen Verma (SP) by 307,052 votes and by a margin of 29.23%.
About Pilibhit district
- Pilibhit Lok Sabha constituency is one of the 80 Lok Sabha constituencies in Uttar Pradesh and is a part of Bareilly division and Rohilkhand region.
- It comprises of 5 legislative assembly segments-- Baheri, Barkhera, Bisalpur, Pilibhit and Puranpur.
Pilibhit parliamentary constituency has been the stronghold of Maneka Gandhi since 1996, when she was in Janata Dal. In 1998 and in 1999, she sucessfully contested as an independent candidate.
- In 2004, Maneka Gandhi formally joined the BJP and consistently won from Pilibhit. In 2009, her son Varun Gandhi won from this contituency and she again won it in 2014 general elections.
- 95% of India's flutes are manufactured in Pilibhit, that is why is also called 'Bansuri Nagar'. It is also home to Sikh and Bengali people.