• search
For New-delhi Updates
Allow Notification  

'Anissia Batra wanted to call police moments before she died'

By Vikas

New Delhi, July 18: In a startling revelation, the lawyer of the family of Anissia Batra, who allegedly committed suicide last week, on Wednesday claimed that the airhostess had anticipated danger and wanted to call police moments before she died.

Representational Image

Delhi Police yesterday arrested Anissia's husband Mayank Singhvi based on the complaint by her family that he was responsible for the flight attendent's death. Her family also alleged that Singhvi used to "physically assault" her.

"Ahead of her death, the victim had messaged her friends to call police, which means she anticipated danger and wanted to call police. Moreover, the door of the room she was kept in was locked from outside," news agency ANI quoted the mawyer of Anissia's family as saying.

Anissia Batra came to know that her husband was a divorcee a week before she jumped off the terrace of her Hauz Khas home.

"He [Mayank] had not told her [Anissia] about his first marriage. After she found out about his earlier relationship, she was quite hurt. It is suspected that they must have had arguments over it," news agency PTI quoted an unnamed Delhi Police officer as saying.

Singhvi was arrested on Monday and was produced in a city court on Tuesday that sent him to judicial custody for 14 days.

In the first information report (FIR), Singhvi's parents, too, have been accused of harassing Anissia, but the police said there was not enough evidence to arrest them, said a HT report.

Singhvi was questioned for about an hour before being placed under arrest on charges of causing her death due to harassment for dowry. The Delhi Police issued a lookout notice against Mayank earlier on Monday. Anissia was in her 40s, and worked with the German airline Lufthansa. She allegedly jumped from the terrace of her house on Friday. Mayank rushed her to a nearby hospital, where she was declared brought dead.

[Police suspect flight attendant was upset as she recently learnt husband was divorcee]

Anissia had been married for over two years and used to live with her husband in Hauz Khas. Before jumping off the terrace, Anisiya had sent a message to her husband that she would kill herself, police said. Her husband, a software engineer in Gurgaon, told police that they had regular fights as there were "compatibility issues". The had an argument on Friday as well, following which Anisiya jumped from the terrace, police had earlier said.

For Daily Alerts
Get Instant News Updates
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Oneindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Oneindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more