Get Updates
Get notified of breaking news, exclusive insights, and must-see stories!

Marine Drive News: Iconic Road To Be Widened To 12 Lanes Ahead Of Tunnel Opening In 2028

The Maharashtra government has decided to widen a stretch of Marine Drive, one of Mumbai's most iconic roads, from its current six lanes to 12, according to a Hindustan Times (HT) report. The decision was made to prevent traffic jams in the future, especially after a tunnel connecting Orange Gate to Marine Drive is completed in 2028.

As per the same report, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis approved the plan during a meeting with senior government officials at the Sahyadri guesthouse on Friday. The discussion focused on the traffic problems expected between Princess Street flyover and NCPA, once the new tunnel and the Coastal Road extension become operational.

Marine Drive News
Photo Credit: PTI

Fadnavis later confirmed the decision in a message, saying, "It's a solution looking 25 years ahead. We have already seen heavy traffic near the Coastal Road tunnel during rush hours. But we will make sure that the beauty of the Queen's Necklace is not disturbed."

The tunnel, being built by the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA), will link the Eastern Freeway and Atal Setu to Marine Drive and the Coastal Road. This ring-road-style project is expected to improve travel across Mumbai.

Although Mumbai traffic police had given a No Objection Certificate (NOC) for the tunnel in 2023, they recently raised concerns about possible traffic jams after its completion. MMRDA then explored several alternatives, like building a road under Oval Maidan or through the Navy's dockyard area. However, these plans were not found practical.

Residents were likely to oppose the Oval Maidan option as it would have taken up about 15 per cent of the open space. The Navy was also unlikely to allow construction near its Western Command base.

MMRDA estimated that such alternate routes would cost between Rs 2,000 and Rs 2,500 crore. Another suggestion by Special Police Commissioner Deven Bharti, for a bridge between Cuffe Parade and NCPA, was also turned down due to cost and time concerns. This change would have required a fresh tender and delayed the project.

Finally, the Chief Minister approved the more cost-effective option to widen the Marine Drive stretch. Officials said this will cost around Rs 500 crore. Fadnavis stressed that the tunnel will help reduce traffic on P D'Mello Road and improve links to the Eastern Freeway and Atal Setu.

However, the plan has raised concerns among residents. Ashok Gupta, Vice President of the Marine Drive Residents' Association, said, "I don't think this will be easy. The government must take public opinion into account. But yes, traffic problems are getting worse."

Marine Drive is home to many high-profile individuals, including bureaucrats and ministers. Last year, a small stretch between Pransukhlal Mafatlal Bath and Bhausaheb Bandodkar flyover was already widened to help with the Coastal Road work.

As per MMRDA records, 10 per cent of the Orange Gate-Marine Drive tunnel has been completed so far. A tunnel boring machine will soon be brought in to speed up work.

Friday's meeting was attended by Chief Secretary Sujata Saunik, BMC Commissioner Bhushan Gagrani, Principal Secretary Ashwini Bhide, Secretary Shrikar Pardeshi, MMRDA Commissioner Sanjay Mukherjee, Special Police Commissioner Deven Bharti and Additional Metropolitan Commissioner Vikram Kumar.

Take a Poll

Notifications
Settings
Clear Notifications
Notifications
Use the toggle to switch on notifications
  • Block for 8 hours
  • Block for 12 hours
  • Block for 24 hours
  • Don't block
Gender
Select your Gender
  • Male
  • Female
  • Others
Age
Select your Age Range
  • Under 18
  • 18 to 25
  • 26 to 35
  • 36 to 45
  • 45 to 55
  • 55+