Bandra East Anti-Encroachment Drive Sparks Violence, Police Register FIR Against Protesters
Mumbai's Bandra East area witnessed tense scenes during an anti-encroachment demolition drive after protests allegedly turned violent, triggering clashes between local residents and police personnel. Following the unrest, the Nirmal Nagar Police registered an FIR against 10 identified individuals and several others under multiple sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita and other applicable laws.

AI-generated summary, reviewed by editors
Demolition Drive Sparks Protest In Garib Nagar
According to the FIR, the incident occurred on May 20 in the Garib Nagar locality near Bandra East railway station, where authorities were conducting a demolition operation to clear illegal encroachments from railway land. Officials said the drive was being carried out in compliance with court orders.
Teams from the Mumbai Police, Railway Protection Force (RPF), Home Guards and civic authorities were deployed at the site to supervise the operation. Authorities stated that bulldozers had been operating in the area for the third straight day as part of a large-scale anti-encroachment campaign.
Officials added that the drive aims to clear nearly 500 unauthorised structures spread across around 5,200 square metres of railway land. Nearly 60 per cent of the illegal shanties in the locality have already been demolished.
Crowd Gathering Led To Escalation
As per the police complaint, a crowd of nearly 100 to 150 people gathered at the demolition site while the operation was underway and began protesting against the action. Police personnel allegedly made repeated announcements urging the crowd to disperse peacefully.
However, tensions reportedly escalated when some protesters allegedly tried to obstruct the demolition work. The FIR stated that several individuals raised slogans and allegedly attempted to incite unrest to stop the ongoing drive.
During the commotion, stones and other objects were allegedly thrown at police personnel and officials deployed at the site, resulting in injuries to multiple security staff members.
Police Detain Multiple Individuals
Following the violence, police used mild force to bring the situation under control and detained several people from the spot. Injured police personnel and security officials were later provided medical treatment.
Authorities have invoked charges related to unlawful assembly, rioting, assault on government employees, obstruction of public servants from carrying out official duties, and damage to public property.
CCTV Footage Being Examined
Police officials said they are now analysing CCTV footage and other evidence to identify additional individuals allegedly involved in the violence during the protest.
Security deployment in the Bandra East area has also been increased to prevent any further law-and-order disturbances as the demolition operation continues.












Click it and Unblock the Notifications