In a big revelation, the Jammu and Kashmir police said that Sandeep Kumar Sharma was part of a Lashkar-e-Tayiba module in the state. Making this revelation, the Inspector General of Police, J&K, Munir Khan said that they have arrested Sandeep from Muzzafarnagar and he is currently being questioned.
The first time that the police found about Sandeep was during the encounter with Bashir Lashkari, the dreaded Lashkar-e-Tayiba militant. Lashkar was gunned down in the encounter. It was then that they realised that Sandeep was staying with him in the same house at Batpora.
The IGP further added that the Lashkar terrorists took the help of Sandeep to loot ATMs in the state. He also said that they indulged in immoral activities in the villages.
Sandeep, a criminal from UP arrived in Kashmir in the month of January 2017. He came to the state to loot ATMs taking advantage of the situation in Kashmir. Sandeep who went by the alias Adil got away for long as the suspicion never fell on him owing to the fact that he was a non-local.
The Lashkar used him to loot ATMs. Whatever money they looted they would share with each other. Over a period of time, he became a hardened militant. He was also involved in three terror attacks along with the Lashkar. He was also involved in cases of weapon snatching, the IGP said.
Meanwhile a team of the Uttar Pradesh ATS has left for Jammu to question the accused.
- Sandeep according to the police came to Kashmir to carry out criminal activities.
- He stayed at Wanpoh and soon got involved in different kinds of robberies including ATM looting in South Kashmir. In these crimes, they worked in conjunction with LET in South Kashmir, the police also said.
- He alongwith some other associates were arrested at PP Mir Bazar in a robbery case sometime in March 2017 and remained in judicial custody until bailed out.
- Subsequently, he joined Bashir Laskhari and worked as his right hand man. He was present in a house at Brinty Dialgam where the encounter took place on June 1. It was in this encounter that Lashkari was killed. During the encounter he was rescued by the police.
- During his questioning he revealed that he along with others had hatched a conspiracy which also included providing shelter and ferrying of terrorists to take part in terror attacks.
Cases Sandeep allegedly was involved in:
- The police also arrested one Muneeb Shah of Kulgam who was also part of this module.
- The J&K police listed the following cases in which Sandeep was allegedly involved:
- Attack on Army convoy at Lower Munda Qazigund (NHW) on 03.06.2017 near Lower Munda opposite Tool Post Qzd.Case FIR No. 138/2017 U/S 302 RPC 7/25 Act (P/S Qazigund)
- Weapon snatching incident at Guard posted at residence of Justice Attar's Anchidoora on 13.06.2017. Case FIR No. 131/2017 U/S 307 RPC 7/27 A Act (P/S Anantnag)
- Attack on Police Party of Achabal on 16.06.2017 at Thajiwara Achabal in which "06" Police personnel got martyrdom. Case FIR No. 82/2017 U/S 302,397,427 RPC 7/27 A Act (P/S Achabal).
ATM loot cases:
- On 18/19.01.2017 at Momin Abad Ashajipora. Case FIR 07/2017 U/S 457,380 RPC (P/S Anantnag)
- On 20/21-04-2017 at K.P Road G.B Stand Anantnag. Case FIR No.66/2017 U/S 457,380 RPC (P/S Anantnag)
- On 22./23-05-2017 at Larkipra SBI ATM .Case FIR No.105/2017 U/S 457,380 ,511 RPC ( P/S Anantnag)
- On 30/31-05-2017 at Achabal Adda (SBI ATM) .Case FIR No.114/2017 U/S 457,380 RPC (P/S Anantnag)
- On 17/18.06.2017 at Zirpora Bijbehara (SBI ATM). Case FIR No.79/2017 U/S 457,380 RPC (P/S Bijbehara)