New Delhi, Aug 17: In honour of Bharat Ratna, Atal Bihari Vajpayee, the government has decided to construct a separate samadhi cum memorial on the banks of Yamuna near Rajghat in New Delhi.
In 2013, while citing paucity of land, the UPA government had passed a law calling for the construction of a Rashtriya Samithi or common memorial for all former Prime Ministers of India who did not have memorials of their own.
In order to build a memorial for Vajpayee, the 2013 law will have to be overturned. Sources tell OneIndia that the Cabinet would take a decision to overturn this law when it meets next. The source said that a memorial would come up near the Rajghat and the law would be scrapped in order to facilitate this.
The government has announced a 7 day mourning from August 16 to 22. The flag will fly at half mast and Vajpayee will be accorded a state funeral, the government has also decided.
Memorials in Delhi:
- Mahatma Gandhi- Rajghat
- Jawaharlal Nehru-Shanti Vana
- Indira Gandhi-Shakti Sthal
- Lal Bahadur Shastri- Vijay Ghat
- Jagjivan Ram- Samta Sthal
- Choudhary Charan Singh- Kisan Ghat
- Rajiv Gandhi- Veer Bhumi
- Giani Zail Singh- Ekta Sthal
- Shankar Dayal Sharma- Karma Bhumi
- Devi Lal- Sangharsh Shal
- P V Narasimha Rao- P V Ghat
- Chandra Shekhar- Jannayak Sthal
- I K Gujral- Smriti Sthal