• search
For Quick Alerts
ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS  
For Daily Alerts

Sadhvi Pragya’s plea for exemption from court appearance rejected

By PTI
|

New Delhi, June 20: The trial court on Thursday rejected an application made by BJP MP Pragya Singh Thakur, prime accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, seeking permanent exemption from appearance once a week.

The newly-elected Bhopal MP had said in her plea that she was suffering from various ailments and was not in the condition to attend the court.

File Photo of Pragya Singh Thakur

Thakur had also said that being a 'sadhvi' (a woman ascetic), she has to follow strict discipline for her 'sadhna' (worship) and adhere to certain dietary rules.

In view of all this, it was not possible for her to travel from Bhopal to Mumbai every week, said the application filed by her lawyer advocate J P Mishra.

She had also cited her duties as Bhopal MP as a reason for not being able to attend the court.

'Is that her name?': Sadhvi Pragya stokes controversy as she invokes her spiritual guru

Advocate Mishra had also submitted that as per her party's whip, she needs to attend the ongoing Parliament session. Therefore, she should be exempted from appearance at least till the end of Parliament session on July 26, the lawyer said. However, special judge for National Investigation Agency (NIA) cases V S Padalkar said these grounds were "not reasonable and genuine".

The judge, though, exempted her from appearance on Thursday. "Attendance of Parliament is necessary and one should obey whip of the party", however, no documentary evidence about any such whip was produced, the judge said.

Thakur, during her last appearance, had complained about dust in the courtroom and the chair provided for her.

Referring to her tantrums, the judge said, "There were some statements by Thakur that the premises of court hall was not clean... On humanitarian grounds the court repeatedly asked her to sit on the chair which she refused."

Her statements were baseless and she "deliberately and intentionally" did not notice construction work happening in the court premises, the judge added. The court had last month directed all the accused to appear before it once a week.

Thakur and six others are facing trial under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA), the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and other laws.

In particular, they have been charged under sections 16 (committing terrorist act) and 18 (conspiring to commit terrorist act) of the UAPA, and sections 302 (murder) and 153 (a) (promoting enmity between two religious groups) of IPC.

Six people were killed and over 100 injured when an explosive device strapped to a motorcycle went off near a mosque in Malegaon, a town in north Maharashtra, on September 29, 2008. According to the investigators, a Hindu extremist group of which Thakur was part carried out the blast.

For Daily Alerts
Get Instant News Updates
Enable
x
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Done
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Oneindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Oneindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more