Shocking revelations in artist murder case: Know how Hema's husband conspired to kill her
Mumbai, Dec 24: Shocking revelations have come to light in the double murder case of artist Hema Upadhyay and her lawyer Harish Bhambhani.
Reportedly, Hema's husband husband Chintan Upadhyay who was arrested by the Mumbai Police on Tuesday finally broken silence. During interrogation he told how he conspired to murder his wife.
What Chintan Upadhyay revealed?
- Chintan told police that he hated his wife to such an extent that once he made obnoxious painting of her.
- He further revealed that she used to abuse him that he didn't like
- According to police, Chintan was fed up of the court cases he was fighting with Hema and plotted to kill her.
- Hema, a Baroda-born installation artist, was locked in bitter divorce proceedings with Chintan.
- She had in 2013 filed a case against him alleging that he painted obscene pictures of women on the walls of their matrimonial home in Mumbai to harass her.
- Chintan told police that we fell in love during art course in Baroda. In year 1999 we got married.
- In January 2013, Hema asked for Rs 5 crore for final settlement in divorce case. She also put condition that if this amount will not be paid then he will have to give Rs 5 lakh monthly to her
- Chintan also revealed that he had given contract to kill only Hema, but murderers killed her lawyer too.
How he allegedly killed Hema
- Chintan along with Vidyadhar Rajbhar who used to run photo framing workshop conspired to kill Hema.
- As Vidyadhar had to return Rs 6 lakh to Chintan so both struck a deal. Earlier, Vidyadhar asked for Rs 30 lakh to kill Hema but finally settle for Rs 10 lakh.
- According to police official, it was Chintan's plan to call Hema to Vidyadhar Rajbhar's warehouse in suburban Kandivali, where she and her lawyers were murdered
- Vidyadhar, who is still at large, had arranged one of his employees to call Hema, pretending to be Jaipur-based domestic help of Chintan, about some evidence that would help her in the divorce case, he said.
- The first call was made from Jaipur in November. Both Chintan and Vidyadhar were there in connection with an art festival, he said.
- Hema had asked the caller to come to Dadar to examine the evidence, but Vidyadhar made the artist to come to his warehouse in Kandivali, claiming that his domestic help did not find Dadar safe.
- Hema agreed to come to he warehouse with her lawyer Harish Bhambhani. The accused allegedly killed both of them as they did not want to leave any evidence, police said
Hema murder case
- Bodies of artist Hema and her lawyer, wrapped in plastic and packed in separate cardboard boxes, were found dumped in a drain in Kandivali on December 12.
- Based on the statements of Hema's relatives, Chintan was arrested on Tuesday(Dec 22).
- Besides Chintan, the four other persons arrested in the case are Azad Rajbhar, Pradeep Rajbhar, Vijay Rajbhar and Shivkumar Rajbhar alias Sadhu. They have been booked for murder and causing disappearance of evidence.
(With inputs from agency)