Modi condoles loss of lives in Mumbai building collapse
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday expressed his grief over the loss of lives due to the collapse of a five-storey building near JJ junction in Mumbai, which has left 19 people dead.
Collapse of a building in Mumbai is saddening. My condolences to the families of those who lost their lives & prayers with the injured: PM— PMO India (@PMOIndia) August 31, 2017
The building was located on Pakmodia street, a narrow lane in the busy Bhendi Bazaar area of South Mumbai. The building was said to be 125 years old. At least 19 people were killed and 12 injured due to the collapse.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, who visited the collapse site to take stock of the situation, said, "Action will be taken in case of any negligence."
The CM also announced an ex-gratia of Rs. 5 lakh for the kin of those who died in Bhendi Bazaar building collapse.
The buildings surrounding the collapsed one have been evacuated as a precautionary measure. Search and rescue operations are underway with the help of local residents.
Earlier on Wednesday, a building collapsed in the metropolitan city's Varsha Nagar area in Vikhroli, leaving one person dead and two injured. In a separate incident, two persons died after a landslide in Vikhroli's Surya Nagar.