In Col Purohit's case, UPA tried to project a Right Wing conspiracy
The Malegaon blast case in which Lt Col Purohit was made an accused took several turns. On Monday in a major relief to Purohit, the Supreme Court granted him bail. He will walk out of jail today after spending nearly 9 years.
Lt Col Purohit was accused of floating Abhinav Bharat, a right-wing group that was allegedly involved the twin blasts that killed seven people in Malegaon, a textile town 270 km from Mumbai, on September 29, 2008. Lt Col Purohit is also accused of collecting huge funds and using them to procure arms and explosives and organising meetings, where the Malegaon attack was planned.
Arguing for Purohit, his lawyers said that it was the previous UPA government which is responsible for these sorry state of affairs. The UPA wanted to project a Right Wing conspiracy and hence such a case was built up. They also said that questions of political influences had damaged the case for several years now.
Senior advocate Harish Salve, who represented Lt Col Purohit, said the case should be judged on its merits and politics should not be allowed to overshadow it. "Let us analyse the facts instead of saying so and so government and so and so agency," he said. Salve further pointed to the anomalies in the chargesheet. He said that the witnesses were forced to give statements and evidence such as the "RDX had been planted intentionally."
Further it was pointed out that Purohit had all along pleaded that he was assigned by the military to infiltrate into various terror groups. He said that he had kept his seniors informed about the same.