‘I should’ve been acquitted; I’ve suffered a lot,’ says Sadhvi Pragya after getting bail
Mumbai, April 26: The Bombay high court on Tuesday granted bail to Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, one of the main accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case. However, the court denied any relief to co-accused, former Lt Col Prasad Purohit in the case.
Speaking to reporters after getting bail, Pragya said, "A lot of injustice has been done to me. I should have been acquitted instead of being granted bail."
"If there would have been someone else in my place, I am sure he/she would not have survived till now. I have suffered a lot," she added. She has spent nine years in jail and is suffering from cancer as well.
"The appeal filed by Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur is allowed. The applicant (Sadhvi) is directed to be released on bail on a surety of Rs 5 lakh. The appeal filed by Prasad Purohit stands dismissed," said a division bench of Justices Ranjit More and Shalini Phansalkar Joshi.
The court directed Pragya to surrender her passport to the National Investigation Agency. It also directed her not to tamper with the evidence and to report to the national Investigation Agency court as and when required.
"We have said in our order that prima facie there is no case made out against Sadhvi," Justice More said while refusing to stay today's order.
Pragya and Purohit were accused of involvement in Malegaon bomb blast case in which eight persons were killed and nearly 80 others were injured when a bomb strapped to a motorcycle had exploded in Malegaon, Maharashtra on September 29, 2008.
Pragya and Purohit were arrested in 2008 and are in jail since then. The court was hearing the appeals filed by Pragya and Purohit challenging an earlier order of a special court rejecting their bail pleas.