• search
For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts

How to apply for passport: Now you don't need these documents

By Vicky

There have been several rules that have changed in order to make applying for a passport easier. In December 2016, the Ministry for External Affairs released the new passport rules. Since then some more changes have been affected.

How to apply for passport under new rules

Here is all you should know about how to apply for a passport under the new rules.

No birth certificates needed:

Applicants will not have to submit birth certificates now. Applicants can now submit either of the following documents as proof of date of birth: Birth certificate; Aadhaar; PAN card with date of birth (DoB); transfer/school leaving/matriculation certificate with DoB. One could also submit driver's licence, election photo identity card or policy bond issued by public life insurance corporations with applicant's DOB.

Aadhaar mandatory:

The government has now made it mandatory for an applicant to furnish the details of his/her Aadhaar and UID number while applying for a passport. The person will now also have to make an in-person appearance for obtaining the passport after the biometric verifications are done.

Annexes reduced:

The number of annexes has also been reduced from 15 to 9. Annexes A, C, D, E, J, and K have been removed and provisions of some have been merged. You don't need to get the annexures attested now as well.

Deed waived:

While applying for passport of in-country domestically adopted children, one need not submit the registered adoption deed. In the absence of a deed to this effect, can submit a declaration written and signed on a plain paper that confirms the adoption of the child.

Single parents:

Now applicants can fill the name of only one parent of legal guardian. It is also not mandatory to mention the name of the father. This would help those raised by single parents.

Marriage certificate and divorce decree:

Married applicants would not have to submit marriage certificates. If the applicant is separated or divorced a divorce decree too would not be needed while applying for a passport. The applicant will not have to mentioned the name of the former spouse in the application.

For orphaned children:

If an orphaned child is without a proof of DoB like matriculation certificate or a court order, the head of the orphanage or child care home can write a declaration for the child on the organisation's official letterhead and that can be submitted with the application. If a child is born out of wedlock, the applicant can submit the extant Annexure C while submitting the passport application.

OneIndia News

For Daily Alerts
Get Instant News Updates
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X