New Delhi, Nov 14: India's first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru loved children very much and he was in return loved immensely by the youngsters.
To mark Nehru's 128th birth anniversary on Tuesday, here we bring you some of his finest quotes which showcase his love for children and at the same time celebrate childhood.
Read the quotes below and wish you all a happy Children's Day:
1. "Children are like buds in a garden and should be carefully and lovingly nurtured, as they are the future of the nation and the citizens of tomorrow."
2. "The vast army of children across the world, outwardly different kinds of clothes, and yet so very like another. If you bring them together, they play or quarrel, but even their quarrel is some kind of play. They do not think of differences amongst themselves, the difference between class or caste or colour or status. They are wiser than their father(s) or mother(s)."
3. "As they grow up, unfortunately, their natural freedom is often eclipsed by teaching and behaviour of elders. At school, they learn many things, which are no doubt useful, but they gradually forget that essential thing to be human and kind, playful and make life richer for ourselves and others".
4. "The only way to reform them is to win them over with love. So long as a child is unfriendly, you can't mend his ways. He can be disciplined, if his attention is drawn to some other activity, like a voluntary body in Delhi (1960s) "Bal Sahyog" used to do. They learn many things there during vocations, without any compulsion of a sort and then their minds get diverted to constructive channels."
5. "I may not have time for adults, but I have enough time for children."
Pandit Nehru's five year plans aimed to provide children of the country, a better childhood. His plans included free primary education and free meals including milk to the government school children in order to prevent children from malnutrition in India. The deep love and fervour of Chacha Nehru towards the children is the big reason for celebrating Children's Day at his birthday anniversary.