Under-construction building collapses in Bengaluru, 3 dead
At least three people were killed and 15 feared trapped under the debris after an under-construction building collapsed at Sarjapur Road in Kasuvanahalli on Thursday. Six people have been rescued so far.
Inititial reports stated that 3-6 people may have died. The death toll is yet to be ascertained.The mishap is said to have taken place in Kasuvanahalli area.
Police said the under construction building at Kasavanahalli suddenly collapsed about 3.30 pm, trapping many. Fire brigade and police personnel, who were informed, launched rescue operations assisted by local people. Two labourers were found dead under the debris while one of the rescued succumbed to injuries in hospital, Bengaluru Mayor R Sampath Raj said.
Deputy commissioner of police of Whitefield division, Abdul Ahad said the building belonged to one Rafique from HSR Layout. "We are gathering more information.It was developed to accommodate paying guests but later the owner tried to convert it into a commercial building," he said.
The rescue operatioins are underway in full swing. Police and personnel from the State Disaster Relief Force are at the accident site to rescue those trapped.
"They had constructed five storeys in the building, but only three were sanctioned," Mayor Sampath Raj was reported as saying.
According to reports, the building has been under construction for six years. For the last two years, the building construction had been stopped for unknown reasons.
We are concentrating on the rescue operation. All aspects will be investigated and action will be taken against those responsible: Bengaluru Development Minister KJ George on building collapse incident #Bengaluru pic.twitter.com/uawnmT8TzR— ANI (@ANI) February 15, 2018
"We are concentrating on the rescue operation. All aspects will be investigated and action will be taken against those responsible," said Bengaluru Development Minister KJ George.