What is water birth?: Explained
Former South African batsman and the fielding coach of IPL team Mumbai Indians became a proud father of a baby girl on Thursday, April 23.
Rhodes named her as India Jeanne Rhodes as his wife Melanie Jeanne delivered the baby at a Santa Cruz hospital in Mumbai. Rhodes' baby girl was born by natural "water birth".
As many of us wonder about what is "water birth", let us know more about it.
What is water birth?
- The technique, also known as "hydrotherapy" was first used in France in 1803 and is quite popular in Western countries as doctors feel that it not only makes deliveries more comfortable for women but also prevent any infection or complications.
- Water birth is an ancient technique that plays a crucial role in reducing labour pain for women during normal delivery and avoid cesarean section.
- The mother in labor is immersed in pool of adequately warm water.
- With increased tension, fear, anxiety and stress level, many pregnant women are opting for water birth technique for the delivery of their babies.
Benefits of water birth
- It also prevents chances of any infections to the new born and mother.
Risks of water birth
- If baby starts crying as soon as its head is out then there is a chance that it might swallow some water. The water will contain the mother's blood or may be other waste that comes out when the water breaks. This might lead to infections.