Karnataka Issues Ebola Alert, Mandates 21-Day Quarantine for Travellers From Affected African Nations
The Karnataka Health Department has issued a high alert following reports of Ebola Disease cases spreading in parts of Africa, even as officials confirmed that no Ebola case has been reported in India so far.
As part of precautionary measures, the state government on May 22, 2026, released updated Ebola guidelines for international travellers and healthcare workers across Karnataka. Under the advisory, passengers arriving in Bengaluru from Ebola-affected countries such as the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda will be placed under mandatory health surveillance and quarantine for 21 days.
AI-generated summary, reviewed by editors

Health officials said travellers must immediately contact the nearest hospital if they develop symptoms associated with Ebola during the monitoring period.
"International travellers, please note the latest advisory regarding Ebola Disease," the Karnataka Health Department posted while sharing the new guidelines online.
Karnataka Activates Quarantine and Isolation Facilities
To prepare for any suspected Ebola case, the state government has designated specific hospitals for quarantine and isolation treatment.
In Bengaluru, the Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Chest Diseases has been identified as the dedicated isolation centre for suspected Ebola patients, while the Epidemic Diseases Hospital will manage quarantine cases.
In Mangaluru, Srinivas Port Hospital and Wenlock District Hospital have also been prepared to handle Ebola-related cases separately if required.
Authorities said airport screening of international passengers has already been intensified, especially for arrivals from affected African countries.
Any passenger identified as a suspected Ebola case during screening will undergo testing. Samples will first be examined at the National Institute of Virology (NIV) unit in Bengaluru before being sent to the main NIV laboratory in Pune for final confirmation.
Rapid response teams have also been activated across the state to handle emergency situations if needed.
Symptoms and Transmission Risks
According to health officials, Ebola symptoms usually begin with severe fever, intense headache and muscle pain. Patients may also experience throat pain, vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach pain, skin rashes and redness in the eyes.
The disease mainly spreads through direct contact with infected blood, organs or other body fluids. Contaminated clothes, bedding, syringes and medical equipment may also contribute to transmission.
Because of these risks, the Karnataka Health Department has warned that healthcare workers and family members caring for infected patients face a higher chance of exposure.
The government said doctors, nurses and support staff are being trained in infection control practices and the proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
State Strengthens Preparedness Measures
Officials said the state has stocked PPE kits, essential medicines and referral ambulances to support quarantine and isolation services if necessary.
The government has also strengthened infection-control systems and scheduled special training sessions for medical staff across hospitals.
Authorities noted that while vaccines for Ebola are available, some African regions continue to witness fresh outbreaks, prompting Karnataka to remain on alert despite no cases being reported in India.
The Health Department has urged people not to panic or spread rumours about Ebola Disease. Officials stressed that the state has already activated surveillance systems, quarantine arrangements and emergency response mechanisms as a precautionary step.
Travellers returning from affected countries have been advised to strictly follow the 21-day monitoring rules and report symptoms immediately to nearby healthcare centres.
Meanwhile, the World Health Organization has now revised its Ebola risk assessment to "very high" at the national level in DRC and "high" at the regional level after cases and suspected deaths increased sharply.
According to WHO, 82 Ebola cases and seven deaths have been officially confirmed in DRC so far, while nearly 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths are under investigation. Uganda has also reported two confirmed cases linked to travel from DRC, including one death. Health authorities say the current outbreak involves the rare Bundibugyo virus strain, for which there are currently no approved vaccines or specific treatments, raising concerns among global public health agencies.













Click it and Unblock the Notifications