Litchi virus syndrome reaches Bangalore?

Posted By:
Subscribe to Oneindia News
Bangalore, June 12: An unknown virus in the seasonal fruit- Litchi took lives of 8 children between 2 years and 4 years of age died between June 3 and June 7 in Malda district of West Bengal.

After the incident the TMC government advised people not to consume unripe litchis that reportedly contained toxins.

In other states, litchis are being sold from the range of Rs 30 to Rs 300 per kgs.

In southern cities like Bangalore and Chennai, litchies are being supplied from West Bengal, Jharkhand and Chhatisgarh and are being sold at the price between Rs 250 to Rs 300.

On Monday, a 6-year-old daughter of Naga Tejaswini, a Malleshwaram resident, fell ill after consuming lichi.

She suffered stomach ache after which she could not go to school for 3 days, but she is now fine after being treated.

Doctors in Bangalore have advised people to beware of fruits like litchis and mangoes, to avoid getting infected with viral diseases.

Doctors believe that these days, a poisonous substance called methylene cyclopropyl (mcpg) is present in litchis, that lowers down the glucose level in children.

If not treated immediately, it can cause brain fever, encephalitis and if the level of chemicals in the body is too high, then it can even prove fatal.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...