Top 10 facts about Telangana, the new south Indian state
1. Telangana (meaning 'Land of Telugus') will be the 29th state of the Indian republic. The last time India had seen formation of new states was in 2000, when the then NDA government decided to carve out Jharkhand of Bihar, Chhattishgarh of Madhya Pradesh and Uttarakhand of Uttar Pradesh.
2. The new state, the fifth in southern India (the other four being Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and Seemandhra). Goa is more considered to be a south-western state.
3. Telangana will have ten districts, namely, Hyderabad, Adilabad, Khammam, Karimnagar, Mahbubnagar, Medak, Nalgonda, Nizamabad, Rangareddy and Warangal. Hyderabad will be the joint capital of the two states for ten years.
4. The total area of the state will be 1.14 lakh square kilometres, which makes it the 12th largest in India. On the other hand, Andhra Pradesh becomes the sixth largest state after the division. Earlier, it was ranked fourth.
5. The population of Telangana is 3.52 crores (as per the 2011 census), which makes it the 12th most populous in India. Andhra becomes the 10th most populous state (it was the fifth-most populous earlier).
6. Telangana has 86% Hindu, 12% Muslim and 1% Christian population.
7. About 77% of the people of Telangana speak Telugu, 12% speak Urdu while 11% speak other languages.
8. Telangana will have 17 Lok Sabha seats and 119 assembly seats.
9. Geographically, Telangana is an arid region even though it is drained by two major South Indian rivers, namely Krishna and Godavari. It has mainly hot and dry climatic conditions.
10. November to February is the best time to visit Telangana region.