8 arrested over Tomar's death get bail, cops to pursue case

Posted By:
Subscribe to Oneindia News

New Delhi, Dec 25: Subhash Chand Tomar, the police constable, who was seriously injured during the protests at the India Gate on Sunday, succumbed to his injuries at Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital here on Monday. The latter have registered a case over Tomar's death. They said they have a video clip of those who attacked the constable and the case will be treated as a murder case.

Police sources said eight people were arrested on Monday for attacking Tomar and injuring him and were booked for rioting and murder attempt. All of them, however, got bail after a bail bond was reportedly submitted by Manish Sisodia, an Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) member. One of the arrested was found to be a member of the AAP and it has brought the party under scanner.


Central Range Joint Commissioner of Police Taj Hasan said the arrested were given bail by the magistrate's court and they would consider legal action and could move the court for cancelling the bail. Tomar, posted at Karawal Nagar police station, was deployed to monitor the law and order duty and was rushed to hospital after found lying at Tilak Marg in a serious condition. He was put on ventilator support. Tomar, 47, hailed from Meerut in Uttar Pradesh.

The violent clashes that broke out in Delhi in the wake of a brutal gangrape in a moving bus in the national capital on December 16 left over 140 people injured. Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar said at least 65 officers of the Delhi Police were injured. The clash intensified on Sunday evening following intermittent clashes.

The police resorted to brute force after the protesters indulged in violence, pulling down barricades and destroying state property. The protesters, however, claimed that their demonstartion was peaceful and accused the police of resorting to unnecessary charge.

Police said they had to use 250 tear gas shells besides repeated lathicharges and unleashing water canons to disperse the protesters. The Delhi Metro service was also shut on Monday. They said hooligans joined the protest to maximise the damage. Public buses, PCR vans and media vehicles were ransacked during the violence.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...