Rehman Malik tries to link 26/11 to Babri Masjid issue
New Delhi, Dec 15: Pakistan will seemingly go to any length to cover up its role in 26/11 and this was proved again when the country's Interior Minister Rehman Malik surprisingly tried to link the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks to the destruction of the Babri masjid.
Addressing newspersons here last night after he and Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde inaugurated the new visa regime, Malik said, "We do not want any 9/11. We do not want any Bombay blasts, we do not want any Samjhauta Express, we do not want any Babri mosque issue and we can work together not only for peace in Pakistan and India but also for the region."
He claimed that Islamabad will bring to book all those involved in 26/11. "When Ajmal Kasab was hanged, I was the first one to come on the television and gave the statement that we respect the judgements coming from your courts. Similarly, when the trial is going on (in Pakistan), I have already told you that it is on the fast track and of course we have gone to every level to make it on the fast track," he averred.
Malik was referring to an anti-terrorism court that is conducting the trial of seven Pakistanis who have been charged with involvement in 26/11. "Now the judicial commission is required to come. And I am very grateful for all the help and cooperation given by India... We assure Indian authorities especially my brother, the Home Minister of India, that we will not leave any stone unturned and the day is not far when you will see the conviction," Malik said.
Though Delhi has repeatedly pressed for the prosecution of Lashkar-e-Taiba founder Hafiz Saeed in this connection, Malik merely noted that "there has been questions on Saeed ... and obviously this is the demand from the people of India. Exactly in the same way when the Samjhauta blast happened, people of Pakistan were actually asking what has happened."
Shinde pointed out that Malik has "been outspoken on all the fronts" but Islamabad is yet to take action against the masterminds of the Mumbai terror attacks. "... we in India keep on talking that earlier on 2, 3, 4 occasions, promises were made and that (they) were not fulfilled and today you have assured again. I am quiet confident that both countries will go forward in bilateral cooperation," Shinde said.