• search

Army not happy with Gen Kapoor's policy

Written by: Staff
|

New Delhi, Aug 19: A report published in DNA on Wednesday, Aug 19, revealed that indian army chief General Deepak Kapoor's policy is creating disharmony in the promotion board as many think the changes would trigger flattery and hamper professionalism.

Kapoor's policy would reinstate a proposal, which was introduced by former army chief Genaral K Sundarji in late 1980s. This approach divides senior officers in two parts - staff and command.

The staff would handle administrative duties while the latter would look after corps and army commands. The proposal would affect promotion of officers to senior ranks like lieutenant general and major general.

In Jan 2009, the promotion board comprising Kapoor and eight army commanders, who are the senior-most lieutenant generals promoted 15 major generals to the rank of lieutenant general. The lieutenant generals are supposed to head the north, east, west, southwest, central army commands and the army training camps.

The list in two halves was sent to the ministry of defence for final nod. However, sources reported that the board had disagreed to the policy and Kapoor had offered to carry a study on the effects of the proposal.

It is reported that three senior lieutenant generals, who are members of promotion boards have corresponded with the army chief requesting for changes.

Initially, an officer was awarded a rank taking into account the courses attended, commands held and accolades received. Although 95 per cent of the promotion decision depended on all this, yet the remaining 5 per cent was based on an individual's Annual Confidential Report (ACR).

However, under Kapoor's policy the five per cent was to be automatic and proportional to the ACR marks.

Most army officials objected to the decision as they felt it would encourage and breed 'sycophancy' while some felt that Kapoor's was a scientific system.

OneIndia News

For Daily Alerts
Get Instant News Updates
Enable
x
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Done
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X
X
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Oneindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Oneindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more