Swine flu: WHO tells nations not to lower guard
London, May 4 (ANI): The World Health Organization (WHO) has told countries not to lower their guard in the response to the swine flu outbreak.
Almost 900 cases had been confirmed across five continents, the WHO said, and authorities have to remain vigilant.According to the BBC, the warning came after health officials in Mexico said that cases of the virus appeared to be declining.
In Mexico, just over 100 people are thought to have died from the swine flu strain, although only 22 cases have been confirmed.
Mexican Health Minister Jose Angel Cordova said that the virus appeared to have peaked between April 23 and 28 and was now on the decline.The WHO said authorities should remain on alert.
The current "round of activity" might have peaked, but there is a high possibility that this virus will come back, especially in colder periods," the paper quoted WHO official Gregory Hartl, as saying.
Health experts in the US, meanwhile, say swine flu could soon be present throughout their country, as cases have been confirmed in more than half of all states.
Egypt has said that it will continue slaughtering pigs as a precaution against swine flu, following clashes on Sunday with farmers that left 12 people injured
An expert from America's Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the virus was fairly widespread.
"Virtually all of the United States probably has this virus circulating now," Dr Anne Schuchat said. (ANI)