Nashik, Oct 13 : Schools as well as educational institutes opened on Monday a week after violence broke out in Dhule over tearing of a banner and curfew in this North Maharashtra town was relaxed for a longer period.
Curfew has been relaxed from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. this evening following no fresh incidents of violence and improvement in the situation, Dhule police control told a news agency.
The death toll in the violence has risen to 10 with one more succumbing to his injuries on Saturday, police said today.
The riots on October 5 had claimed 9 lives and left over 170 injured, they said adding more than 350 persons have been arrested in this connection so far.
Distribution of financial aid to riot-affected victims is also in progress, and a rehabilitation scheme is being drafted by the PWD for repair of damaged houses in the violence.
Meanwhile, senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde has demanded a judicial probe into the Dhule riots.
Munde visited the riot-hit town yesterday along with the MLA of Jalgaon district.
Republican Party of India chief and MP Ramdas Athawale also reached Dhule this morning and visited the riot-affected areas after trouble began there when a banner of Hindu Rakshak Samiti was found torn in Ram Mandir Chowk leading to clashes and arson in many areas.