Amarnath Sangharsh Samiti rally postponed

Written by:
Subscribe to Oneindia News

Jammu, Aug 27 : The rally called by the Shri Amarnath Sangharsh Samiti has been postponed after the terror attack here this morning in which a Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) and four civilians were killed.

The Samiti, which is spearheading the agitation in Jammu region for the past six weeks over the revocation of the land transfer to the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board, was scheduled to organise the rally at the parade ground here.

According to Sangarsh Samiti official, the rally has been cancelled on the request of the authorities after the terror attack.

Three militants had sneaked into Jammu early this morning. One of them was killed. The encounter between the remaining two militants and the Army was still going on as the militants were trapped in a house at Chinore. These militants have also held five of a family as hostages.

Meanwhile, high alert has been sounded in Jammu after these militants fired indiscriminately in the Mishriwala area on the outskirts of the city early this morning.

Efforts were on to nab the militants who were seen wearing police uniforms and travelling in an autorickshaw after killing the driver.

These militants are believed to be the same men who infiltrated the international border under the cover of the indiscriminate firing from Pakistan troops at the Border Security Force (BSF) posts in Kana Chak area of Akhnoor sector near Jammu on Tuesday.

In another incident of ceasefire violation along the Line of Control (LoC), four BSF personnel were injured in Poonch District of Jammu and Kashmir when Pakistani forces opened fire from across the border. Meanwhile, curfew in the Kashmir Valley is being relaxed in a phased manner after reviewing the security situation by the authorities. The decision was taken at a high-level meeting chaired by Jammu and Kashmir Governor NN Vohra. All the ten districts of the Kashmir Valley were under curfew for the last three days. Media reports said newspapers failed to hit the stands for the second consecutive day on Tuesday. The CRPF did not allow journalists to move and refused to honour the curfew passes and they also beat up six journalists while they were on their way to work.

Please Wait while comments are loading...