Midnapore, Aug 21: West Bengal Governor Gopal Krishna Gandhi today toured Sabang and Panskura areas of West and East Midnapore respectively, areas worst-hit by the recent flash floods.
The governor held a meeting with senior district officials and representatives of all political parties at Sabang to assess the post-flood situation and distribution of relief to the victims.
At the meeting, local Congress MLA Manas Bhuniya informed the governor that the Kapaleswari and Keleghai rivers were in spate since June 16 following incessant rainfall.
''Moreover, 3,50,000 cusec water was released from the Kansabati reservoir without any prior intimation which resulted in the flash floods,'' Mr Bhuniya said.
He also informed that altogether 24 places in Sabang were breached and alleged that the administration had not yet undertaken any repair work, leaving thousands of villagers at nature's mercy.
''The Centre has sanctioned Rs 140 crore for relief and construction of houses for the flood victims. However, the Opposition supporters in Sabang constituency have not been provided any grants or relief and all the funds have been diverted to CPI(M) supporters,'' Mr Bhuiya said.
He said altogether 35,000 houses were destroyed so far, adding that more such flash floods were apprehended till October.
He also accused the ruling CPI(M) and state Irrigation department of not taking any steps to repair the breaches at Sabang as it was a Congress-dominated constituency.
The governor assured the Congress MLA of immediately taking up the issue with the state government and ensure adequate relief and timely construction of houses.
Later, Mr Gandhi also toured the Panskura area in East Midnapore to take stock of the situation.
''I have toured this area at the request of Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee. I will take up the issue with the Centre and state government for immediate despatch of relief material and provision of funds for rehabilitation of the flood victims,'' the governor added.