More complainants throng police commissionerate

Written by:
Subscribe to Oneindia News

Chennai, May 12 (UNI) Fuelled by rumours, as many as 4,000 gullible people, who had fallen prey to the tall claims of a Hong Kong-based MLM Firm Gold Quest promising gold coin for depositors, today flooded the Chennai city Police Commissionerate with complaints against the firm.

Police sources said braving the scorching heat, more than 4000 people queued up to lodge their complaints at the special counters opened for the purpose at the Police Commissionarate following rumours that today was the last day for receipt of complaints.

Taken aback by the sudden rush of complainants, police officials were forced to open more counters to receive complaints from the public.

Braving the searing summer heat, people stood in long queues, which stretched to a distance more than 1000 metres.

So far, more than 5,000 people, both from the city and states like Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Maharahstra, have registered their complaints demanding action against the firm.

Police had already sealed the company's office in the city and also froze the bank accounts of the firm. Steps were also being initiated to arrest its owner, who was said to be in Hong Kong.

It may be noted that acting on a complaint from one of the company's network member, police arrested seven people on the charge of following fraudulent business practices.

A manhunt has also been launched to nab 43 agents of the firm, who were instrumental in enrolling a large number of depositors to the firm.

Meanwhile, the police custody of two rpt two of the seven arrested, including the company's senior woman official Pushpam and Joseph Augustin was extended by four days by Judicial Metropolitan Magistrate, Egmore, Mr Muruganandam.The remaining were remanded to judicial custody for 15 days.

They were produced before the Egmore Metropolitan Magistrate court after expiry of their five day police custody. The Investigating team prayed for extension of the custody for one more week on the ground that investigations were not completed.

But the court granted them police custody for four more days and adjourned the case.


Please Wait while comments are loading...