Amid din Guillotine passed in Orissa Assembly

Written by:
Subscribe to Oneindia News

Bhubaneswar, Mar 29 (UNI) Amid din and slogan shouting by the Opposition Congress, Orissa Assembly Deputy Speaker Prahallad Dora today passed the guillotine by voice vote and adjourned the House till 1030 hrs tomorrow.

For the third day today, the Assembly witnessed pandemonium as the Opposition Congress alleging deadlock and a Constitutional crisis created ruckus, forcing the Deputy Speaker to adjourn the House till 1700 hrs merely five minutes after it assembled for the day today.

When the House reassembled, the Congress members rushed into the well and shouted slogan ''Go back Deputy Speaker'' and tried to disrupt the proceedings.

But amid the din, the Deputy Speaker moved the guillotine, which was passed by voice vote.

It just took three minutes to complete the process.

In the morning, the House hardly met for five minutes during the question hour when the Deputy Speaker was forced to adjourn it as the Opposition Congress members trooped into the well, climbed up to the podium, threw microphones and chairs to register their protest.

It all started when the House commenced at 1030 hrs after remaining adjourned for two days following clashes between the Treasury bench and Opposition members on Thursday.

Congress Deputy Leader Narashingh Mishra, rising on a point of order, drew the chair's attention, stating that it was illegal to run the House as it could not be assembled at 1030 hrs on Thursday.

But the Deputy Speaker did not pay any heed to Mr Mishra's demand and asked Energy Minister S N Patra to reply to a question.

This caused commotion in the House with the Opposition Congress members rushing towards the well and shouting anti-government slogans.

The agitated members started throwing microphones into the well and rushed towards the podium to obstruct the Deputy Speaker from proceeding further.

The House soon plunged into a pandemonium, forcing the Deputy Speaker to adjourn the House till 1700 hrs. But before that he convened an all-party meeting at 1300 hrs to sort out the impasse.

The Opposition boycotted the all-party meeting and made clear that it was unconstitutional on the part of the Deputy Speaker to run the business of the House.

Eds: Here pls pick up suitably from earlier series.


Please Wait while comments are loading...