Mumbai, Dec 12 (UNI) Maharashtra State Minority Commission today sought intervention from the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) to resolve the issue of 800 Haj aspirants on the waiting list.
''We have already talked to Deputy Chief Minister and Home Minister R R Patil in this regard. We are also talking to the Minister in the PMO, Prithviraj Chavan, to apprise the situation to the Prime Minister and urge him to take up the issue with the Saudi Government,'' said Nasim Siddiqui, Chairman of State Minority Commission here today, after holding talks with the Haj Commitee authorities and agitated applicants.
Earlier, the agitated applicants, who had been campaigning here for the last several days amidst hope of their names be confirmed before the last flight on December 14, held a protest at the committee's office, demanding the authorities to come out clean on the issue.
Of the total 1,67,000 Haj quota for India this year, Maharashtra has a quota of 10,000.
''In addition, we also obtain visa and passport in advance for 3,000 applicants in view of the cancellation, which do take place on one ground or the other. The exercise is carried out because Saudi Government stops issuing visa 15 days prior to the Haj,'' Mohammed Owais, Chief Executive Officer, Central Haj Commitee told UNI.
However, according to Mr Owais, contrary to the expecations, this year there were only 2,200 cancellations, and thus 800 remains out of the final list.