Blasts thwart return of normalcy in Guwahati

Written by:
Subscribe to Oneindia News

Guwahati, Nov 25 (UNI) Even as the capital city of Assam was limping back to normalcy, following yesterday's clashes, three synchronised ULFA-sponsored blasts ripped the city today, killing at least two and injuring more then a dozen.

According to Guwahati Deputy Commissioner Avinash Joshi, two bombs exploded at Fataseel in Guwahati, while another car bomb exploded in Tinsukia, about 500 kms from here.

The Guwahati bomb left one dead and four injured, while the Tinsukia bomb killed another and injured 11 others. Both the bombs exploded between 1730 and 1800 hours and were placed in particularly busy and crowded areas.

There were reports of a fourth blasts in Bilasipara, near Dhubri, which occurred near the Sub-Divisional Police Office(SDPO). Police said a grenade was lobbed at the SDPO's office. However, there was no casualty.

''This is the handiwork of the ULFA and by going its style, timing and location, we have no doubt that it was the ULFA, who wanted to make their presence felt after more than three months of lay off,'' said a senior police officer.

Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi visited the injured at Guwahati Medical College and Hospital(GMCH) earlier today and instructed the authorities to ensure proper treatment of those injured in yesterday's incident.

Adivasi protestors, under the banner of All Assam Adivasi Students' Association(AAASA), had clashed with local people in the Beltola-Last Gate area of the city yesterday after the locals retaliated following alleged rampage by the adivasi protestors.

One person was confirmed dead, while over 250 injured in the mishap. Curfew had been clamped in the area after the clashes, which has now been lifted and normalcy restorated.

The state government had already announced an enquiry into the incident.

About 100 injured people were released from the GMCH today and escorted by the police to their homes. The AAASA has called a 36-hour statewide bandh from tomorrow against the incident. Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) working president Phani Bhusan Choudhury demanded a judicial enquiry and said that the state government has lost the right to be in power after the incident.

Former Jharkhand chief and BJP leader Arjun Munda, who arrived here this afternoon, also took a dig at the government for "failing to check" the incident.

Other tribal leaders, including Sibu Soren and Babulal Marandi, were also expected to arrive by tomorrow.


Please Wait while comments are loading...