Kolkata, Nov 12 (UNI) Denying that any member of the Bhumi Uchched Protirodh Committee (BUPC) had been killed in Nandigram during the past few days' violence, CPI(M) state Secretary Biman Basu today challenged the opposition to come out with a detailed list of the victims.
''None of them has died. Let them give the names and addresses if they can,'' he told reporters.
Alleging that altogether 27 CPI(M) supporters were killed in Nandigram over the past eleven months, Mr Basu said the party was ready with their details and the dates they got murdered, but those alleging a mass murder by the Marxists in a recapture move into the area last week, must substantiate what they said.
Conflicting reports came in from different quarters putting the death figures between three and 200 as CPI(M) supporters, who were driven out of the area, pushed into the villages leading to a fierce fight with BUPC members.
While official reports said two persons were killed in clashes and mine blast, Trinamool Congress MLA Subhendu Adhikary put the toll at 20 while party supremo Mamata Banerjee alleged that 200 people were massacred.
The reports sent shockwaves across society, prompting Governor Gopal Krishna Gandhi to virtually reprimand the administration and a large number of intellectuals and artistes to take to the streets in protest.
In reply to a question on the resolution that smaller partners of the ruling Left Front adopted yesterday holding the CPI(M) solely responsible for the violence, Mr Basu admitted that partymen were involved in it. He, however, pointed out that the Trinamool Congress had perpetrated the crime of driving them away from Nandigram.
''Given the fact that CPI(M) people were murdered in the area, there is no denying that they were involved...but the Trinamool was also the perpetrator of the push-back of the people from Nandigram.
This should have found a place in the resolution,'' he said.
Mr Basu said he would take up the matter with the partners both in the Front and at bilateral levels.