Pak emergency has given setback to peace process: Azad

Written by:
Subscribe to Oneindia News

Jammu, Nov 5 (UNI) Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad today said the imposition of emergency in Pakistan had given a setback to the ongoing peace process between New Delhi and Islamabad.

Mr Azad, while talking to media persons after the reopening of the 'Darbar' at winter capital, said, ''The internal situation in Pakistan has given a temporary set back to the ongoing peace process between both the countries.'' ''Situation in Pakistan has a direct bearing on Jammu and Kashmir and it was unfortunate that democracy in Pakistan could never take roots,'' he said. However, the Chief Minister was hopeful that the situation in Pakistan would improve soon.

On the performance of the government in the state during the past five years, Mr Azad said the Congress-PDP coalition had fulfilled 90 per cent of the promises made to the people of the state in the Common Minimum Programme. ''Remaining 10 per cent would be implemented in the current year as five years of the coalition rule have been historic for the state,'' he said.

Mr Azad said his government had taken several significant decisions during the past five years, which included opening of Srinagar-Muzaffarabad and Poonch-Rawlakote roads, creation of new districts and implementation of Roshni Scheme.

''For the first time, remote and far off places received focused attention in matters of development,'' he said, claiming that the number of human rights violations had been registered all time low in the tenure of coalition government.


Please Wait while comments are loading...