Organised sector key for proper growth of dairy industry

Written by:
Subscribe to Oneindia News

Varanasi, Sep 28 (UNI) India is the largest milk producer in the world but exports of dairy products from the country constitute a dismal one per cent of the global market-place.

Experts from dairy industry strongly feel only the rapid growth of organised sector can boost the export of dairy products from the country to lucrative markets like the US.

Presently, with an annual production of 100 million tonnes, India is the number one milk producer in the world, but exports from the country only account to one per cent of global dairy product trade, President of Indian Dairy Association (IDA) N R Bhasin informed UNI here today.

In the city to attend a two-day national seminar on prospects of Food and Dairy Processing Industries in Eastern Region, which started at Banaras Hindu University (BHU) today, Dr Bhasin said ''out of the 100 million tonne milk produced yearly, 46 per cent is consumed by the population and milk farmers, while the remaining 54 per cent represents the surplus milk available for market consumption.'' Of the surplus milk, 34 per cent milk goes into the hands of unorganised sector, especially the sweet-makers, while the remaining 16 per cent is used by the organised sector, comprising cooperative milk societies and private dairies.

''The growth of organised sector holds the key for boosting the miniscule share of Indian dairy products in the global market-place.

Only when the organised sector grows to consume at least 30 per cent of surplus milk in the next two years can we even dream of boosting the export pie,'' Dr Bhasin added.


Please Wait while comments are loading...